Friday, September 08, 2006

If we are lucky, we get older, right? Consider the alternative . . . !

As we get older, we hopefully gain in experience. That doesn't mean we're any smarter or more gifted or more talented than our younger peers. It just means that we've seen things, done things, and have some experience we can share. Experience can be a valuable resource, a tool to scale ever greater heights.

Society seems all too ready to dispose of people once they've hit their middle years. (The French refer to middle age as "d'un certain age.") Sad, really, and wrong-headed--to dispose of or ignore those whose journey has taken them to so many interesting places. If life is just about end results--one giant reality TV series--then it loses its flavor. It becomes quick, clean, antisceptic. On the other hand, if it's about the gaining of experience, the journey, then life becomes an intriguing mystery, rich with detail, emotion, adventure.

Which would you rather have?

Obviously, this is a sensitive subject for me today. But isn't that what blogging is for?

2 comments:

Michael said...

I just turned 50 its killing me..Mike

Judd Lear Silverman said...

It's gonna be a long year, I fear, due to this pushing 50 business. On top of the "milestone:, I got laid off, so I'm hunting for work, resume after resume, temp work. . . oy! . . . I'm just happy I have my writing to give me some outlet. (And clearly you're quite a gifted photographer--loved your postings!). . . and my significant other collects Ken dolls, among other things, so I don't think it's strange at all! (I assume you read that short-story collection, MONDO BARBIE--various writers composing scenarios about her life. Great fun.) Is the Lake near where you live? That would be a godsend. Thanks for stopping by the blog!